Friday, September 27, 2013

food that trigger acid reflux

I have been googling for days trying to find answers to my GER wonderment. When I read this query I could instantly relate to it: 

Just what the title says. I love the stuff, but no matter what form--oat groats from scratch, Quaker instant, oatmeal cookies--it gives me hideous heartburn about 45 minutes to an hour after I eat it. Plain oatmeal does it just as badly as a homemade oatmeal cookie.  

After working out this morning I had half a cup of Cracklin' Oat Bran cereal with almond milk, and sure enough I was bolting for the Tums half an hour later when I felt it coming on. 

Everything I read says it should be the opposite, and that a diet high in fiber should help keep heartburn at bay. I can eat the greasiest, spiciest meal on the face of the planet and be just fine, nothing gives me heartburn like oatmeal. What gives?

Here are a few who attempted to "diagnose" her: 

Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 21,594
Well, your reaction is certainly paradoxical, as fiber is generally recognized as reducing the frequency of GERD in some patients.

However, I can hypothesize that with some individuals, the bulk of the fiber may distend the stomach as the fiber swells with liquid, thus expanding the stomach and relaxing the sphincter which is supposed to be a one-way valve to prevent acid from migrating back up into the esophagus.

Again, that's my wild-ass hypothesis.

Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Whoa, zombiness!

Thanks for the anti-oatmeal support. As it turns out, I cut all grains out of my diet a little while ago, and within 48 hours, all the heartburn/reflux and associated nausea that I had been experiencing for a couple of decades on a low-fat, whole-grain based diet stopped cold. Bacon, eggs, and spinach for breakfast, steak and broccoli with butter for dinner, and now my CBC/Chem panel results are hanging on the fridge with a gold star, and my blood pressure is down from 142/94 to 118/72. Life is good ;0)

Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I've learned that oatmeal eaten alone makes my stomach go all weird (not heartburn pain, exactly) 45 minutes to an hour after breakfast. However, eating protein such as poached eggs or an omelet with the oatmeal makes the symptoms disappear. Whole-grain rye bread etc. does not act like this, so there's something evil in the oatmeal itself, not just the fiber.
  #15  
Old 04-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Whole grains give me heartburn, reflux, and diarrhea. It got so bad for me at one point that I was diagnosed with IBS. But it turns out that if I stay away from certain foods, I am symptom free. 

Some of us do not need extra dietary fiber. If you aren't constipated, you're getting enough. Some of us also have reactions in our upper digestive tract to certain compounds in foods that many people digest perfectly - who knows why - but I know a lot of heartburn and GERD sufferers who saw big improvements when they stopped eating grain products.

Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
GERD and acid reflux come from a messed up ratio of bacteria in your gut. I used to be up all night just about coughing up mucus constantly and digesting food so slow that I'd often cough up things I ate 12+ hours before.

The way you fix this is really simple; you eat probiotic foods. After eating probiotic vegetables and drinking probiotic kumbucha type drinks, my symptoms have gone away within days and are now getting better. The lump in my throat is gone, I can now swallow without drinking hot water, I can sleep for 8+ hours without issue and if I eat grains I get a mild reaction instead of my body trying to murder me for it.

So basically, all you need to do is look up probiotic foods, make a list of what you want and eat nothing but that for awhile. I've been eating foods I know I shouldn't be every few days, which is why I suspect I still get immediate (albeit mild) issues with grains, but if you eat nothing but probiotic foods for about a month I imagine you can completely fix the issue.

Another thing to consider is foods nowadays are based on taste rather than nutrition. Dairy products? They aren't good for us at all. Grains? Our bodies can't digest it properly. Now consider that we have been eating highly refined versions of these foods that weren't good for us to begin with. Yeah, our bodies can use SOME of the nutrients in these foods and there aren't any negative effects if we eat it once or twice a week, but our bodies are not meant for this food and eating it on a regular basis is terrible for us.

We need to remember the point of food, that is to keep us alive and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment